I’ve wanted an air fed helmet for a long time so when Inverter Fusion asked me to review an Optrel Crystal 2.0 welding helmet & E3000 setup I was keen to try it out.
I spent many years not using any kind of protection when welding but as I’ve got older I’ve become more concerned about the toxic fumes released when welding, especially as I mainly work on old cars so I’m burning through old paint a lot. Breathing in all those gases can’t be good for your lungs.
The E3000 Air Pack
The E3000 air purifying respirator filters your air so that you aren’t breathing in things like smoke, dust or vapours. It can be used with any of the Optrel helmets and complies with the top protection class TH3 according to EN 12941.
– You can control how much air is fed into it
– It has an alarm for when the filter needs changing and for when the battery gets low
– You can use it with two filters, a particle filter and an odour filter
– It comes with a 20 hour battery which lasts well
– Takes a bit of time to get used to the additional weight but this is a small negative when you weigh up the benefits to your lungs
The Optrel Crystal 2.0 Helmet
There is a clear difference between this and any other welding helmet I’ve ever used and that’s the visibility through the screen. It’s so clear. Then there is the auto adjust setting which is without a doubt it’s best feature.
– Blows air at your mouth and forehead
– As I mentioned above, the auto adjust feature is awesome. It automatically adjusts the dark shade depending on what you are welding so you don’t have to change the settings yourself. So if you’re doing tig, low level and then you go straight to doing some pulse mig or something really bright, it will auto adjust it.
– Amazing clarity through the screen
– Knob that turns helmet up and down is great when in tight spots
The cons: it was quite hard to find any cons but if I had to then..
– The head gear is quite stiff and isn’t that comfortable
– The masks only really work when you have the breather pack on, if you try to use it without then it just steams up
I’ve filmed a full video review including the unboxing and running you through the features so if you were thinking of buying one then you can see that here…
If you did want to buy one then I have a discount code for you to use, just head over to Inverter Fusion by CLICKING HERE and enter ‘URCHFAB‘ at the checkout. You can also order over the phone, just quote ‘URCHFAB’ when putting through the order.
Thanks to Inverter Fusion for gifting me the Optrel Crystal 2.0 helmet and air pack setup. All words and opinions are my own.