Home The Drift Rod
Category

The Drift Rod

So less than 12 months after the finish of the drift rod build I was sat in the workshop feeling pretty disappointed with the outcome of all my hard graft. I had built something that was only doing half the job it was intended for.

It got all the attention and was a great advert for business but when it came to drifting it required so much commitment to get it to drift properly that it made it scary to drive.

Worse than this was the fact that I has smashed it into an Armco barrier badly bending the front end of the car.

Luckily a friend of mine came to the rescue with his chassis jig and pulled it back straight again and I was back on track within a matter of weeks. But I was never happy with the fact that things had been bent around, It was getting annoying that some parts weren’t quite lining up how they used to when I had spent so long getting everything right.

So with that I got the grinder out and started hacking.

I completely redesigned and rebuilt the front end and front suspension arms. I wanted to simplify the front and make everything easier to adjust at the track.

I made the strut tops one fixed point and made a 2 piece bottom arm which was adjustable for caster/camber without needing to jack up the car and remove bolts.

The main issue when trying to drift it was it constantly wanted to snap back straight unless you were flat on the throttle or on the handbrake. I put a lot of this down to the extremely short wheelbase and wide track width so I decided to lengthen the wheelbase.

I puled the front the front struts forward slightly to gain a bit and also moved the axle backwards 5 inches, this meant making a new bumper bar too.

I also stuck a bigger turbo and some larger injectors on there for a bit more poke.

With all the extra fab work done I though I might as well change the look so went with some olive drab military paint to finish it off.

There were a lot of little things that got rushed in the original build that I wasn’t happy with so this gave me the chance to go back and sort all those also.

 

The end result was a massive improvement, the car was actually enjoyable to drive. It still took some commitment but I’m getting used to that.

It would have been nice to get it right first time around but that’s all part of the learning process. Before starting this project I would have said that I was pretty clued up when it came to setting up a car but this build showed me that I only knew the very basics.

By far the best part of building this car has been the massive amount of knowledge I have gained doing it.

Here’s a video me and my brother made to unveil the new look.

March 11, 2018 0 comment
0 Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest

For the build post click here.

Here’s my own project and result of a winter of hard graft and endless nights at the workshop.

I wanted to create something that I could use as an advert for the business that would stand out and catch attention on the track as well as at the hot rod shows. It does the trick.

drift-rod-fifteen

It looks right at home parked up next to the Rat fork which still runs like a watch, sort of.

drift-rod-five

The car has been built with next to no budget, I made use of parts I had lying around, parts from my local scrapyard modified to fit and made as much as possible from scratch.

 

August 3, 2015 0 comment
0 Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest

Last August, having spent the summer drifting in my MK2 Escort, I decided that I wanted to build something different for 2015. I bought the Escort in 2011 with the plan of restoring it into a nice road car but as the car was getting near to hitting the road I discovered drifting and that’s where the plan changed. By the time I sold it on it was an all out drift car designed for track use only.

It was modified from front to back and handled like nothing else, for a little car with a basic setup it could hang in with some big budget cars. I said I would never sell it, it had given me a new passion and purpose in life but I knew it was the only way I could build something new. It was really hard to hand over and felt like giving away one of my kids but that was that.

ford-escort

(Image credit)

I had always wanted to build a hot rod/rat rod, I think they are so much more unique and personal. There are very few cars that I’m really passionate about but I could show you a fair few rods that float my boat.

 I was having a good time doing drift demos for various car shows so decided I wanted to stick to doing that instead of competing, this meant I was able to go ahead and build something without sticking to any rulebooks. The plan was I could do both, build a rod and go drifting, I just had to build a Rod that could drift.

I started searching for a shell and one turned up about 100 yards down the road from my workshop. It was a 1953 Ford Anglia Hot Rod which had been cut up and used to repair another crashed Rod. It had no floors, no rear end and no bulk head but it did have a roof chop and was perfect for what I wanted it for, and for £200 my budget build was starting off on the right foot.

Ford-Anglia-Ford-Pop-Hot-Rod

August 1, 2015 0 comment
0 Facebook Twitter Google + Pinterest